This Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet is an easy to make, one pan recipe. Perfect for busy days and great to prep ahead of time, this healthy and hearty recipe features ground Turkey sausage, broccoli, sweet potatoes and yummy spices. It makes for a wonderful breakfast, lunch or dinner!
If you like what you’re reading, please consider sharing this article with your community and following @sandeelbooth on Instagram and Pinterest. All products mentioned are independently chosen, and may be affiliate links. Your support is appreciated!
How do I make this skillet turkey and sweet potato recipe?
This recipe is fairly straightforward. You’ll cook the Turkey sausage, add your veggies and spices, let cook some more and top with cheese. Easy enough, right? This recipe calls for ground Turkey sausage, but feel free to substitute whatever ground meat you may have on hand.
How do I serve this dish?
As is! It’s healthy and filling on its own, but feel free to serve it over rice. It’s also delicious with your favorite hot sauce. Dice up the broccoli and top the dish with a fried or boiled egg for breakfast, change up the cheese or triple the recipe. The sky is the limit for how you enjoy this yummy recipe! Make sure to store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge promptly and eat within two days. No one likes getting food poisoning!
Is this sausage and potato skillet healthy?
Yes! This easy skillet recipe is so healthy. Using a leaner cut of meat ensures you aren’t getting too much fat, while the vegetables are great. Cheese is also good for you when used sparingly, so this is a great, well rounded dish. Want to add more nutrients to this dish? Feel free to add canned chickpeas, rinsed, toward the end of cooking. Chopped up carrots are also delicious as are diced yellow potatoes or spinach. This also makes for a great meal prep dish for lunches for the week too.
Any ideas for desserts or sides to go with this skillet sweet potato and sausage?
You definitely don’t need any sides to go with this easy skillet recipe! But if you’re looking for an easy appetizer, I love these Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts, and this Buffalo Chicken Dip. So good! Dessert wise, you can never go wrong with Mini Chocolate Covered Cheesecakes or No Bake Peanut Butter Bars.
Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 lb ground Turkey sausage
- 2 Large sweet potatoes peeled and diced into cubes
- 1 12oz bag frozen broccoli florets
- 3/4 Cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey sausage and season with salt and black pepper, if desired. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is slightly browned and no longer pink, around 6-8 minutes. While cooking, break up the sausage into small chunks with a spatula.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet and continue cooking until they become soft and slightly crisp around the edges, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and season with garlic, paprika, salt & pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Cover and allow the broccoli to steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove lid and sprinkle the shredded Mozzarella on top. Cover for another 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Skip the peeling and cubing of the sweet potatoes and buy a 12oz - 16oz bag of frozen cubed sweet potatoes.
Save time earlier in the week by roasting your sweet potato and broccoli for 30 minutes at 375. Season with garlic, paprika, black pepper & salt as needed. Store until you’re ready to warm up and add to the cooked Turkey.
Don’t have Turkey sausage? You can easily utilize any ground meat. The flavor profile will change slightly.
Change up the cheese as you like! Mozzarella is nice and mild, but cheddar is delicious too.
Enjoyed this easy one pan recipe? Check out these other articles all about simplifying your life.