I don’t know about y’all, but a big ol’ bowl of Red Rice & Sausage has always been a comfort food favorite for me!
Maybe it’s a Southern thing, maybe it’s because I clearly love carbs too much.
Either way, prepare to love this simple to make dish as much we do in Georgia!
Healthy One Pot Meal full of Southern flavor. Serves 5
2 cups white rice
1 lb sausage links cut into thin slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, medium dice
1 bell pepper, medium dice
3 C water, plus additional if needed
4oz can tomato paste
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter
Dash of Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook sausage until browned in a large pot over med-high heat
- Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic and cook until translucent – about 3 minutes
- Add butter and rice, cook until rice is slightly browned – about 3 minutes
- Slowly water and remaining ingredients, stir to incorporate thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- If you need more water add small amounts as needed. Cook until rice is tender.
- Enjoy! ☺
* Note white rice makes a sticky rice so your rice will be sticky and not fluffy.