Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Who doesn’t love a good twice baked potato? The combination of cheese, bacon, and baked potato is so delicious! But stuffing all those potatoes after making the filling can be pretty tedious. What if you could have the flavor of a twice baked potato without all that extra work? This delicious twice baked potato casserole is packed with flavor and so simple to make!
[As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.]
Ingredients for Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Making twice baked potato casserole is similar to making twice baked potatoes. That means you’ll need the same ingredients as you would if you were stuffing the potatoes with filling. To make this simple casserole, you’ll need:
How to Bake Potatoes
Before you can prepare your casserole, you’ll need to bake your potatoes. My favorite way to bake potatoes is to simply place them in the oven! Start by pricking the potatoes a few times with a fork, then place them directly on the oven rack. Bake the potatoes at 400 degrees for one hour, flipping the potatoes halfway through the cook time.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole Recipe
When your potatoes are cooked through, you can start removing the potato from the skin. Slice each potato in half with a knife and allow them to cool slightly before scooping out the flesh and placing it in a bowl.
Add the heavy cream, salted butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, and parsley to the bowl with the potatoes. Use a hand mixer or potato masher to blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Stir in the cheddar cheese and chopped bacon until the filling is mixed well.
Spread the mixture in a greased casserole dish and top with more cheese and chopped bacon. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the potato mixture is warmed.
Don’t forget to check out these other delicious comfort food favorites!
Make Ahead Potato Casserole
Since this casserole is so easy to make, it’s also simple to prepare ahead! Just prepare the casserole as directed. But instead of placing it in the oven, cover the dish and chill until you’re ready to cook it. Before cooking your casserole, allow it to rest on the counter for 30 minutes to come to room temperature, then place the dish in the oven and bake until warmed.
The casserole can also be heated in the slow cooker. Prepare the casserole according to the recipe instructions, then scoop the potato mixture in to the bowl of your Crock Pot. Set the slow cooker to cook on low for two hours or high for one hour. If you’re cooking the casserole directly from the refrigerator, it’s a good idea to allow at least an hour of extra cooking time.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 strips bacon, cooked & chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Clean potatoes and use a fork to poke a few holes around the outside of each potato. Bake in the oven for one hour, until cooked through.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow to cool enough to touch. Slice each potato in half and remove the cooked potato from the inside and place it in a large bowl.
- Add the heavy cream, butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, and parsley to the bowl. Stir or mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Add ¾ cup cheddar cheese and the chopped bacon. Reserve one tablespoon of chopped bacon for garnish, if desired. Stir until the cheese and bacon are mixed with the other ingredients.
- Spread the potato mixture in a casserole dish and top with remaining cheese and bacon.
- Return to the oven to cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until cheese on top is melted. Let cool before enjoying!