Easy, creamy and oh so tasty! This adult version of hot cocoa is perfect for a cozy evening at home.
[This post may contain affiliate links. They come at no cost to you.]
When to serve peppermint hot cocoa
Who doesn’t love hot cocoa? It’s a great, chilly evening, winter time beverage! Add some peppermint schnapps to it for a fun adult friendly version that’s perfect for chilly evenings at home. This peppermint hot cocoa recipe is super simple to make from scratch, from the simple syrup to the actual hot cocoa itself.
What to Serve with peppermint hot cocoa
These are best served as soon as they’re made, as it doesn’t reheat well.
This drink is made for sipping while curled up watching your favorite movie! Check these out for a few fab ideas.
If you like this recipe, you’ll love these other tasty treats!
How to make
You’re going to make your simple syrup first. While this doesn’t go in the drink, it’s what keeps the crushed peppermints on the mug. This makes the drinks so cute! But if you aren’t going to decorate your peppermint hot cocoa, you can skip this step.
After you’ve done that, you’re going to whip up the peppermint hot cocoa. You aren’t going to let the milk simmer. You’re just heating it up enough so it combines all of the ingredients, dissolves the sugar and warms it all up. No cold hot cocoa here! You can use whatever milk you’d like, although the more fat in the milk, the creamier your hot cocoa is.
Where to get the ingredients
You can get most of these from your local grocery store, assuming yours sells liquor. We’ve lived in some states that won’t sell them in grocery stores and only allow them in liquor stores. The adorable Rae Dunn mug is from TJ Maxx. And how cute are these Rae Dunn Christmas plates?! I love how fun her line is. Check out Sweet Mint for more adorable Christmas mugs. I have so many from this store!
Naughty Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 3 oz Peppermint Schnapps
- 3 oz Chocolate Liqueur
- 5 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint
- Add sugar and water to small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to cool, the pour into glass jar. Refrigerate for up to a month.
Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- Dip the rims of the mugs into the simple syrup and then into the crushed candy canes.
- Set the mugs to the side.
- Add milk, cocoa and sugar to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until cocoa and sugar are dissolved, and the mixture is warm.
- Remove from the heat, do not let it simmer.
- Add peppermint schnapps & chocolate liqueur.
- Pour into mugs. Garnish with whipped cream, and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Enjoy!